Friday, May 13, 2011

Vancouver to Pemberton: back to back BBQ's

Due to the laundry delay I decided to time my departure so I could hit up one last BBQ in Vancouver and make it for a Pemberton BBQ at my first stop, actually NK+T are in mount curry, just past Pem! It was funny how different they were, but a BBQ no matter the style is always a good time.

BBQ 1: the asian style backyard barby. my danish roommates made a little pit in the back using bricks that were just lying around, went to chinatown and bought some paper lanterns and decorations. Few friends dropped in, plus the gang of asians TT hung out with at school, we drank beer and blackberry flavoured Soju -- amazing stuff, it been flavoured w/ berries for 6 months, tasted amazing and went right to your head. We listened to beach boys while eating fish and prawns, fishcakes, sausauges, and thinly sliced beef in a Japanese style sauce. To prove that veggies could BBQ too I picked the last of the kale, added olive oil, S+P, chili flakes, and balsamic vinegar, threw it on till it started to crisp up and got a great smokey flavour that surprised everyone who tried it. The Danes also made a traditional potato salad w/ sour creme instead of mayo, and it was soo good!

We finished the night w/ a few rounds of jenga, more beer, marshmallow roasting, and more beer. The following morning we were all feeling a bit sluggish, CA, stayed drinking until right until the end w/ me, he was also supposed to help me move my stuff into storage and drop me off at the greyhound station. In the end we didn't really rush the morning, we were pretty efficient with the packing and storage stuff, but still missed the bus by approx. 10 min. CA, the wonderful friend he is, saw this as an opportunity to spend more time with me, and offered to drive me to Squamish so we could overtake the bus on the highway. Thanks CA, this trip definitely had the right kinda start because of you! NK picked me up from Pemby bus station, and drove me to her new cabin style home in Mount Curry.

BBQ 2: a pemby style barby. Raised pick-up trucks, music blaring, A giant pile of wood, a giant fire, and some old diesel fuel to keep it interesting. Lots a truck talk - in the winter its usually snowmobile talk - forest fire fighters, skeeter-b-gone, crochet legwarmers and toques, dogs running around, helicopter fighters, and knee surgeries. Boys and girls who love living out in the woods, camping, snowboarding, etc. Such a shift from the night before, but also perfectly delightful for me. The only reason I can manage to live in the city is because I get away and go play in the mountains whenever I can. Who knows maybe when school is done I will spend some more time up there. oh yeah, lots of beer, NK and I got into the raspberry vodka and lime juice, sausage, steaks, chicken wings, and me with my portabello mushroom burger. It was a perfect place to spend my first night on the road, cause I fly back to BC at the end of August for NK + T's wedding, so my first and last nights of the trip will be with the pemby crew!

No comments:

Post a Comment