Monday, May 16, 2011

Merrit to Calgary: storytelling

Almost as soon as I was left on the side of the highway, before I had my thumb or sign out, before I even had my coat and bags sorted out a truck driver had pulled over to offer a lift. I asked first for a ride to Kamloops, my initial goal. We pulled into the Walmart parking lot so he could get some dinner, I took photos of his truck and his license plate to send to my contacts, and one more of him in front of his truck just cause. By the time we were exiting the Walmart I had decided to make the whole trip with him to Calgary, my next planned visit.

What followed was one of the most incredible drives of my life. RM gave me the most fascinating oral history of BC, he had grown up on the downtown east side of Vancouver I am guessing during the 1950's, though I never did ask his age. We passed through his families original homestead, he talked about a flood where his grandfather refused to leave the house fearing someone would loot the place, so he stayed on the top floor and the roof while everyone else evacuated. RM had a story like this, or a comment about a good fishing spot, or something about an old girl friend for pretty much every turn on the road. I only wish I could have recorded the entire conversation, I thought about it, but the noise in the cab was too loud, especially on the uphills and we rode together for just about 12 hours. It would have been hard to decide what to record and what to leave out. I did write out his responses to a formal interview I conducted. Hopefully someday I'll have an opportunity to ride with him again. It might also be nice to visit him in Peachland to go fishing or hunting.

The response is usually one of concern when I tell people I am hitchhiking, when I share that I got a ride in a transport truck the concern is magnified. As far as I am concerned this is the best way to travel. I didn't get car sick at all, and love the height and perspective from in the cab, you cover a lot of ground, and especially in this case the stories are fantastic! At one point RM even gave me some advice on how to effectively defend myself with a knife, suggesting that I carry one on me, just in case, while hitchhiking.

I finally fell asleep somewhere between Golden and Banff. I tried so hard to stay awake to hear more stories, but eventually exhaustion overtook me. I felt pretty safe for my body to relax enough to sleep, and it was good to get a few hours in after such a long day. I woke up again just a half hour outside of Calgary, around 5am, just as the sun was starting to make colours in the sky. RM decided to attempt the residential roads with his rig, driving me right up to SV's door. We said our goodbyes and exchanged info, and as a gentleman RM took my heaviest bag and walked me to the doorstep. Making sure I got there safe, he said.

I arrived in time to have a quick chat with PB while he got his coffee ready and before he headed off to work. I shot off a quick text to let everyone know I arrived safely, climbed into bed next to SV, and slept soundly until late morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment